Sponsor your Parents or Grandparents in Canada

There are a number of reasons why Canada is one of the most favoured choices for immigration among millions of foreign nationals, one of them being the diversity of immigration programs it offers.

You can immigrate to Canada as a permanent resident (PR) through a number of immigration programs offered by Canada’s federal and provincial governments. Once you become a permanent resident or citizen of Canada, you can even reunite with your family in the country, thanks to the family sponsorship program. Under the program, you can sponsor your spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, even your parents and grandparents. 

For parents and grandparents, there is a dedicated parents and grandparents sponsorship program, also known as PGP.

Under the family sponsorship program, you will be financially responsible for any of the family members that you sponsor. To initiate the process, you have to submit your application with the necessary documents and pay the fees.

While the process looks straightforward, the complexity of the application process and the legal documentation involved may be overwhelming for many. To ensure that you don’t hit any roadblocks during the application process, it is always a good idea to get assistance from a qualified immigration consultant. When you book a session with beingcanada.com by Sayal Immigration Inc., you get advice and assistance from a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) registered with the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC). Having helped many families, we pride ourselves on being at the forefront of uniting families in Canada.

Parents or Grandparents as Permanent Residents of Canada

Every new immigrant who is a part of the Express Entry pool has to prove his/her ability to make economic contributions to the Canadian economy. The same application process is not followed when you sponsor your parents and grandparents

As their sponsor, you will be responsible for providing proof of funds as the responsibility of taking care of their basic needs such as food, clothing, utilities, shelter, household supplies, etc is to be borne by you. The proof of funds is required by IRCC to ensure that your parents or grandparents will not require financial assistance in the near future.

Eligibility Criteria

Eligibility criteria that you must fulfil to sponsor your parents and grandparents

  • You must be at least 18 years old
  • You must be a permanent resident or citizen of Canada
  • You must be living in Canada
  • You must fulfil the minimum income requirement (varies according to the number of parents or grandparents you wish to sponsor including any dependents)

And more

The eligibility criteria that the applicants (your parents or grandparents) must fulfil

Apart from the sponsor, the parents and grandparents being sponsored must also fulfil the eligibility criteria, which includes the following mandatory documents:

  • Police clearance certificate (PCC)
  • Medical examination report
  • Biometrics

And more

These are some of the minimum requirements that you must fulfill. To know more about the eligibility criteria and to understand the process in detail, contact beingcanada.com by Sayal Immigration Inc.


If your parents meet the eligibility criteria, they can enjoy the benefits given to every other permanent resident. They will have access to the public healthcare system and they would also be able to work in Canada. Later, they can apply to become a Canadian citizen.

Yes, you can sponsor your brothers and sisters, even half brothers and sisters, along with your parents and grandparents. However, they can be sponsored only as dependent children and must fulfil the criteria for dependent children, such as age within a certain limit, and not being in a marriage or common-law relationship, etc.

While it is difficult to define a time period, the usual processing time for PGP is 20 to 24 months. 

If you wish to fasten the process, you can consider the parent and grandparent super visa.

If you want to sponsor a parent, you are required to sign an undertaking stating that you will be responsible for them for 20 years. The time period for the same is 10 years in Quebec. It is important to note that this undertaking is non-negotiable. You cannot change its terms irrespective of your financial situation or relationship with your parents and grandparents. 

If you do not meet the minimum income requirement, you can ask your spouse or common-law partner to co-sign the sponsorship application. IRCC will then consider the financials of both applicants. In this case, both the applicants are required by law to follow all the rules and regulations.

IRCC allows you to sponsor one parent as well. However, you need to list their partner in the form.

A medical examination is done to assess if the PR applicant is in sound health. While the Canadian authorities want healthy people to immigrate to Canada, you can sponsor a sick parent or grandparent if their condition does not overburden the public healthcare and they are not a threat to public safety.

Select Beingcanada.com by Sayal Immigration Inc. for Your Immigration Needs

At beingcanada.com by Sayal Immigration Inc., we understand the importance of uniting. Therefore, we strive to offer the best advice to everyone. We carefully examine each profile and suggest a customized pathway. Our experts support each applicant throughout the process. If you wish to sponsor parents and grandparents and want them to become Candian permanent residents, book a session with us today to start your application.