Sponsor a Child or Other Dependent

Canada grants permanent residency status to many foreign nationals every year who immigrate with the hope of a better future. The country started family class sponsorship to streamline the immigration process for families. This route allows family members living in different countries to unite in Canada.

A child of a Canadian PR holder or a citizen can be sponsored by their parent to immigrate to Canada as a permanent resident. This benefit can be extended to biological and adopted children alike. 

Begin your Canada child sponsorship process with beingcanada.com by Sayal Immigration Inc. As Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants, we will guide you in the best possible way to ensure that you and your family stay in the same country. If you wish to sponsor a child, a spouse or other dependents, book a session with us for further discussion.

Eligibility of the Parent for Child Sponsorship

If you want to sponsor a child, you must fulfill the following eligibility criteria:

  • You must be at least 18 years old or above.
  • You must be either a Canadian permanent resident or a citizen residing in the country.
  • You have met all the requirements of your previous sponsorship(s) if any.
  • You have never defaulted to a court-ordered support order like child support or alimony.
  • You have a clean criminal record with no history of violence.
  • You can provide for the basic needs of your child and other dependents.
  • You can prove your relationship to the child you wish to sponsor.
  • You are not undergoing an immigration investigation.

And more

Eligibility of the Dependent Child for Child Sponsorship

Whether you have a biological child or an adopted child, certain eligibility criteria are the same for both categories, such as:

  • One or both of the parents of the child must be Canadian permanent residents or citizens, living full-time in Canada.
  • The child is 22 years old or less.
  • The child is neither married nor in a common-law relationship, etc.

You can sponsor a child if she or he is above the age of 22 if:

  • Your child has a physical or medical condition that is keeping them from supporting themselves.
  • You have been supporting your child financially since before they turned 22 years old.

Sponsorship for an Adopted Child

A parent or a guardian must fulfill all the eligibility criteria stated for the adoption of a biological child. However, if you are considering international adoption, you must take into consideration that the immigration process of an adopted child is initiated in the home country of that child. It is also important to note that not all countries allow intercountry adoption. Talk to your adoption agent before you initiate the process.

If the child you are planning to adopt is in any way related to you, a different set of rules will apply. Otherwise, all intercountry adoptions are either completed outside Canada or inside it. A hybrid solution is not available.

Refer to the mandatory rules of intercountry immigration:

  • The adoption must be deemed legal in the country of the child and the territory or province of the adoptive parent.
  • The adoption must meet the requirements of the province or the territory where the adoptive parent is living.
  • The adoption must clearly terminate the relationship between the child and his/her biological parent.
  • The adoption must stipulate a genuine relationship between the child and the adoptive parent.
  • The adoption must be in the child’s best interests.

These are some of the binding rules of intercountry adoption. If you are planning to adopt a child in Canada, want more details on the adoption process or wish to sponsor an adopted child, reach out to beingcanada.com by Sayal Immigration Inc. for expert advice.

Undertaking for Sponsoring a Child

Quebec has a different procedure for sponsoring a child. In addition to following the steps required by IRCC, you have to follow a few more steps. 

After filing a family law application at the federal level with IRCC, you need to file an application at the provincial level as well with MIFI. Next, you need to apply for QSC, that is Quebec Selection Certificate. 

Quebec has a different undertaking as well which you need to sign. According to this undertaking, you will be the ‘contractual’ sponsor of the child and will take care of their basic needs. In case, the province has to provide for them during the sponsorship period, you are obligated to reimburse the province. The length of the undertaking and the age of the child is also different for sponsorship in Quebec.

If you reside in the province of Quebec and plan to sponsor a child, book a session with our RCIC today to discuss the process.

Talk to a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant

A sponsored child gets the status of a permanent resident and is free to study and work in Canada. If you live in Canada, you can extend the benefits provided by the country to your children as well. Child sponsorship depends on numerous factors. It is important to make oneself aware of the requirement and eligibility criteria before starting the procedure. At beingcanada.com by Sayal Immigration Inc., our aim is to eliminate any uncertainty by providing you with complete and updated information. Whether you want to discuss your case or need help with the application process, we are here to guide you. Call us today to start the process.