Canada offers work permits in two broad categories i.e. open work permit and employer-specific work permit. Open work permits to Canada are available for different types of needs, one among them is the bridging open work permit (BOWP). BOWP has been devised for those candidates who are working in Canada on a work permit that is about to expire soon, while they are awaiting a decision on their Canadian permanent residency application. This is aimed at ensuring that such candidates are able to continue working by seeking an extension on their work permit while their Canada PR application is under processing.

Select Being Canada by Sayal Immigration Inc. for your BOWP application

With a bridging open work permit, as the name suggests, you will be free to work for any employer, anywhere in Canada. You can make an application for a BOWP only if you have a valid work permit which is set to expire in no more than four months, and have already submitted a Canada PR application.

If you need to extend your work permit in Canada while Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) take a decision on your Canada PR application, then you may benefit from professional consultation from an experienced and qualified immigration consultant. Book a session with Sahil @ Sayal Immigration Inc. to consult a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) registered with the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC). We will be able to offer you appropriate consultation and assistance regarding BOWP after a detailed evaluation of your profile.

Eligibility Criteria for BOWP

You must meet the following eligibility criteria to qualify for a BOWP:

  • You must be living in Canada. However, outside Quebec.
  • You must be working legitimately in Canada on a valid work permit.
  • Your work permit must have no more than four months pending before it expires.
  • You must have already submitted an application for permanent residence (APR) in Canada as a principal applicant for one of the following programs:
    • Federal Skilled Worker Class (FSWC)
    • Canadian Experience Class (CEC)
    • Federal Skilled Trades Class (FSTC)
    • Provincial Nominee Class (PNC), with no employer-specific restrictions on nominations
    • Agri-Food Pilot (AFP)
    • Home Child-Care Provider Pilot or Home Support Worker Pilot
  • You must have received a positive eligibility assessment from IRCC on your Canada PR application after having passed the completeness check.
  • You must have made an application for an open work permit.

Work Permit for Spouse or Common-law Partner

Your spouse or common-law partner, even dependents may be eligible for an open work permit under the following conditions:

  • You have a BOWP that is valid for longer than six months
  • If you applied for Canada PR under FSW, as a BOWP holder, you must be engaged in an occupation that is at Skill Levels 0, A or B in the National Occupational Classification (NOC).
  • If you applied for Canada PR under FST, as a BOWP holder, you must be engaged in an occupation that is at NOC Skill Level B.

If you applied for Canada PR through a PNP, irrespective of the skill level of your occupation, your spouse or common-law partner may be able obtain an open work permit. However, only for the duration same as yours,.

For Canada PR applications made under CEC, there aren’t any conditions that you need to meet to enable your spouse or common-law partner to apply for an open work permit.

Work Permit for Dependents

Your dependent children must obtain an LMIA or have an LMIA exemption based on their specific situation to apply for a work permit.


No, IRCC rules do not permit the submission of BOWP applications from POE and outside Canada. You must be working and residing in Canada on a valid work permit to apply for BOWP.

A PNP nomination that restricts you to an employer and province can’t be used for making an application for BOWP. To be used for the purpose, it must not restrict you to an employer and work location.

As per the IRCC rules, submission of an incomplete application for Canada PR may render you ineligible to receive a BOWP. This highlights the importance of seeking professional consultation and assistance for Canada PR and BOWP. Contact us to ensure you submit a complete application for permanent residency in Canada.

At the moment, BOWP is not available to foreign nationals working in Quebec. However, the province offers an alternative arrangement i.e. with a valid Quebec Selection Certificate, you may be eligible to apply for an employer-specific Canada work permit while you await a decision on Canada PR application.

No, you must have a valid work permit to be eligible to apply for BOWP. However, in such a case, you may need immediate professional immigration consultation to avoid any issues. Contact us to discuss your options.

If you have got a new LMIA that you may use to apply for a new work permit, then you don’t qualify and don’t even need to apply for a BOWP. Instead, you can apply for a regular work permit.

For candidates applying for permanent residency in Canada through a PNP nomination, the location of employment on their work permit is restricted to the nominating province when they are issued a BOWP.

To obtain a BOWP through Home Child-Care Provider Pilot or Home Support Worker Pilot, you must produce supporting documents to prove that you have a minimum of 24 months of qualifying work experience.

Contact Being Canada by Sayal Immigration Inc. for Canada Immigration Assistance

If you are planning to apply for a BOWP, book a session with by Sayal Immigration Inc. today to consult a qualified and Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC). We will guide you through the complete application process in the best way possible.