Post-graduate Work Permit for International Students in Canada

PGWP Canada or the Post-graduate Work Permit is a pillar program started by the Canadian government as part of their immigration plan. The program attracts thousands of international students from across the world every year. It offers international graduates a chance to be a part of Canadian society. Under this program, international graduates, based on their eligibility, get an open work permit after studying in Canada for up to three years. Once you have your PGWP, you can work full-time for any Canadian employer without a job offer.

If you are an aspiring international student who wishes to subsequently work in Canada,, by Sayal Immigration Inc. will help you achieve your dreams. We provide Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) services registered with ICCRC. Book a session with RCIC Sahil Sayal for professional guidance.

How to Get a Work Permit in Canada?

While the IRCC holds the right to grant permits to all foreign nationals, you must fulfill the following criteria if you intend to work in Canada. You are eligible to apply for a PGWP if you:

  • You have graduated from a college that is a designated learning institution (DLI)
  • You have completed all the prerequisites of your program.
  • The duration of your course is at least 8 months.
  • You are enrolled in a full-time vocational, professional or academic program.
  • You have graduated from a post-secondary school, such as CEGEP, a technical school, college, trade school or university in Quebec.
  • You can produce a transcript or official letter from your institute to prove the above points.
  • And other eligibility criteria.

Once you have gathered the necessary documents, you get 180 days after completing your final exam to apply for the post-graduate work permit.

If you are still in doubt whether you are eligible to get a work permit in Canada, let the experts guide you. Book a consultation with us and we will get in touch with you promptly.

Why Should You Consider PGWP?

Canada offers an outstanding quality of education. Whether you are planning to do an MBA in Canada, study science or literature, you will find great courses offered by top-ranking Canadian colleges. The other upside of studying in Canada is that, once you have completed your education, it can lead to the path of permanent residency.

The PGWP program was coined by the Canadian government to retain international students. This pathway was opened to make it easier for foreign students to integrate into the Canadian economy. When you complete a full-time course in Canada, it increases your CRS score. Once on PGWP, the Canadian Work Experience further adds to your score, improving your chances of receiving Canada PR by manifolds.

Federal Skilled Worker or the FSW is one of the most common pathways through which foreigners immigrate to Canada. Since a majority of people across the world rely on this stream for their PR, it increases the competition. By working in Canada using your PGWP, you become eligible to apply for permanent residency under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) category as well. This permit opens more doors for people who are planning to immigrate to Canada.


There is no age restriction. If you have completed at least 8 months of education from a designated learning institute in Canada, you can apply for the post-graduate work permit if you are eligible.

You can apply for a work permit after receiving your final transcript and course completion letter from your college, university or institute.

No, you don’t need an LMIA to apply for the post-graduate work permit.

This is an open work permit. You can move to any province and work for any Canadian employer after receiving it.

You can get enrolled at any institute in Canada for further education but if your aim is to get a work permit, you have to study in an institute that is on the DLI list.

Depending on the duration of your course, a post-graduate work permit can be valid for up to 3 years. If the duration of your study program is less than 8 months, you are ineligible to apply for a work permit.

No, PGWP is not associated with any other permit. You have to apply for it separately within 180 days of receiving your final result.

If your study permit is expiring and you haven’t received your final transcript, you can either apply for a visitor record to prolong your stay in Canada or you can leave the country and apply for a work permit from your home country.

In most cases, the IRCC does not give any provisions for the extension or renewal of PGWP. However, in certain cases, it is possible. IRCC’s policies regarding this matter are subjective.

A post-graduate work permit is granted to full-time international students, studying in Canada and enrolled in a designated learning institute. IRCC does not grant a work permit to online students. However, in special circumstances, for example, the ongoing pandemic, it may be possible. There are multiple scenarios and each case will differ. Check with us to know if you are eligible for it.

If you have further queries, get in touch with us and we will guide you through the process.

PGWP for PR Canada

PGWP can be your stepping stone in your journey to getting Canada PR. In addition to contributing to your CRS score, it also prepares you for the challenges of operating in a foreign job market. It will give you an edge over other PR holders and give you the opportunity to reach the top faster than the others.

It can be the only option for many, especially if you’re losing points because of factors that are not in your control, for example, your age.

Why Licensed Members of ICCRC?

Moving to a different country is a life-altering decision. It is only possible with eligible guidance. There are only 7500 Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants who are legally allowed to represent you in your visa application. We are one of the few authorized professionals who strive to offer you authentic information. Our aim is to make your Canadian dream a reality with our continuous efforts.

We try to simplify the complex process of applying for a post-graduate work permit for all the aspirants. We will evaluate your case and offer the options that are suitable for your profile. by Sayal Immigration Inc. is there to guide you on your journey to Canada.

Contact us for more details.