Options for Internationals Student to Work While Studying in Canada

As an international student in Canada with a valid study permit, you can explore the labour market of the country to assess your future options. Along with gaining experience, you can support your education and expenses by earning an extra income. 

There are a number of work permit programs that allow international students and their accompanying spouses/common-law partners to work on Canadian soil. If the purpose of your education is immigration, working as a student can be highly beneficial for you. You can establish more contacts and prepare yourself for a full-time job in Canada. 

If you are planning to work while studying in Canada, make sure that you have the right permit for your profile. IRCC has strict rules and you must comply. To avoid any complications in the future and to ensure that you are on the right track, talk to our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant. We will help you in obtaining the right permit. We can also assist you in acquiring a post-graduate work permit once you have completed your education.

On-campus Placement for International Students

There are a number of part-time jobs in Canada for students, especially on-campus. These jobs are offered by employers that are located on the campus ground of your educational institute. Your employer could be anyone from your school, student organizations, faculty members, a private business or contractor located within the campus area.

If you are an international student with a valid study permit, you do not need to acquire a special work permit to work on-campus where you are registered. 


  • You must have a valid work permit.
  • You must be in the process of completing your education.
  • You must work on your campus only.
  • You must be a full-time student pursuing post-secondary education from a public college/university/CEGEP (Quebec) or you could be a student at a private school that is legally allowed to award degrees.
  • You have a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN), etc.

Off-campus Placement for International Students

Off-campus jobs are offered to students by employers who operate outside of the campus area where you are registered. If co-op or internships are a mandatory part of your course, you need to apply for a work permit. 

If you do not have a work permit, you may still be eligible to work for an employer outside your campus using your valid study permit. International students who belong to this category can do part-time jobs (up to 20 hours a week) during a regular academic session and full-time jobs (up to 40 hours a week) during scheduled breaks in an academic session.


  • You must have a valid work permit.
  • You must be in the process of completing your education.
  • You are enrolled in a full-time academic, professional or vocational course/training program at a designated learning institute in Canada.
  • The duration of the course must be more than 6 months and must lead to a diploma, degree or certificate. 
  • You must have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).
  • Your course has officially begun.
  • Your institute finds your academic standing satisfactory.

And more

Any international student who does not fulfill any of the above-mentioned requirements must immediately stop working off-campus. 

If you are not studying full-time, you may still be eligible to work off-campus under the following conditions:

  • You were enrolled in a full-time course since the beginning of your course but it is your last semester that does not require you to study full-time.

Co-op Work and Internships in Canada

A number of courses offered to students in Canada have mandatory co-op training or internship. If you are an international student, you must apply for a work permit along with your study permit. Such training and internships are often conducted off-campus and require a student to work full-time, you are required to have a valid co-op or intern work permit for them.

A co-op or internship work permit is different from a general work permit. It may only be valid for a particular training or work that is part of your course. Any internship or work undertaken by an international student that does not give them credit is not covered under this closed work permit.

As an international student, you must be certain about your work status in Canada. It is recommended to consult an expert if you are confused about whether on not you need a specialized work permit. Beingcanada.com by Sayal Immigration Inc. is here to offer you correct guidance.

Remote Jobs for International Students in Canada

In addition to on-campus and off-campus jobs, international students in Canada can work from home as well. Many online jobs are available for students that they can take up irrespective of their work permit or study permit status. However, students must disclose their income while filing their taxes. 

Exceptions for Working While Studying

A majority of international students work in Canada while studying to gain more exposure to the job market and to support their expenses. If you are also planning to work as a student, you must consider the following exceptions. If you fall under any of these categories, you may have to revise your study plan.

  • International exchange students can study in Canada without a study permit. As they do not have a study permit or a SIN, they are not eligible to work.
  • Any student enrolled in ESL or FSL program is ineligible to work as a student.
  • If you are visiting Canada for a general interest program, you will not be issued a study permit. Hence, you cannot work as a student.
  • You will not get a study permit and a SIN if the duration of your course is less than 6 months. Without these two mandatory documents, you cannot work here.
  • Students who are enrolled in a part-time course are also not allowed to work in Canada.

Why Work as an International Student?

Working while studying in Canada can help international students achieve their goals in many ways. In addition to furthering their knowledge, students get great exposure to the labour market of Canada. If you are planning to immigrate or to apply for the Canadian Permanent Residency, this could be a great opportunity for you. Depending on the hours and the nature of work that you will undertake as a student, you may get additional CRS points.

International students with viable work experience find it easier to assimilate into the Canadian economy and build a better future. Since they have Canadian education and experience, employers are more likely to hire them. 

Get in touch with beingcanada.com by Sayal Immigration Inc. to resolve any confusion, know your status as a student or apply for a work permit. We offer comprehensive services to students from India, China, South Korea, France and all the other countries.