Canada welcomes international students every year from across the world. Foreign nationals can apply for a study permit from their home country after completing all the formalities. There are certain circumstances where a foreign national can study in Canada without a study visa. However, that might not aid them with immigration. In both cases, international students have to inform the IRCC about their motives for entering Canada. But what if you are already inside Canada and wish to obtain a study permit? Do you have any options? The answer is ‘yes.’

If you are planning to enroll in an educational program or training that is longer than 6 months, as a foreign national, you need a study permit. You can apply for a study permit from inside Canada as well. However, this facility is not available to all foreign nationals. Contact by Sayal Immigration for more information on how to convert a visitor visa to a study permit in Canada. Our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant will discuss your case and suggest the right pathway.

Convert Visitor Visa to Study Visa

First, it is important to note that not every visitor visa can be converted into a study permit. In addition to that, every visitor does not even require a study permit to study in Canada. 

The procedure for converting a visitor visa to a Canadian study permit depends on your current status in Canada, the province where you are situated, if your spouse or common-law partner is a resident or citizen of Canada, and more.

If you need more clarification on your status, book a session with us to discuss your case.

How to Apply for Study Visa in Canada

The procedure of your study permit Canada application can have two possible routes. You can either apply from inside Canada or apply as though you are outside of Canada. If you are present in Canada and one or more of the following applies to you, you will choose route one:

  • Your work permit or study permit is still valid.
  • You are the parent, spouse or common-law partner of someone with a valid work or study permit.
  • You are the parent, spouse or common-law partner of someone with a valid Temporary Resident Permit with a validity of 6 months or more.
  • You are a minor and your parents or guardian are planning to send you to primary or secondary school.
  • You are an exchange student.
  • You are a visiting student.
  • You have sponsorship for immigration and your permanent residency profile is already in the pool.
  • You are completing a short-term course aimed at making you eligible to be accepted at a designated learning institute. 

And more.

If none of the above applies, you have to submit your study permit application as though you were outside Canada. You do not need to worry as you will not be asked to physically leave the country.

Irrespective of the route that you must have the following documents:

  • A DLI issued a letter of  acceptance 
  • A valid passport or travel document
  • Proof of funds declaring that you have enough funds to support yourself and accompanying family members during the course of your studies

You have the provision to apply for your study permit both online and offline.

Study Permit Processing Time in Canada

The Canadian authorities try to process the study permit of eligible students within a month. If you have submitted complete education along with your medical exam report and biometrics, you can expect a prompt decision on your application. However, in certain cases, the authorities may require additional time or may ask you to submit additional documents.

Why Choose Us?

At by Sayal Immigration Inc., we strive to offer you the consultation. After discussing your case, we will offer you solutions that are suitable for your profile. Whether you are planning to apply for a study visa for Canada from India, China, France or any part of the world, our expert consultants are there to help and guide you. Book a consultation session to apply for a study permit from inside Canada.