Canada, the second-largest country in the world, is popular for its natural beauty, national parks and maple syrup. It is considered one of the most forward economies that welcome immigrants from all cultural and racial backgrounds. Hundreds of thousands of people across the globe submit their Canada PR applications every year. As the number of foreign nationals applying for Canada permanent residency is increasing, the IRCC is also raising its bar.

A great way of increasing your chances of getting an ITA and creating a better future in Canada is by landing there as a student. Studying in Canada is highly beneficial, especially if your ultimate goal is to immigrate to this Northern country. There are many pathways to Canadian PR and one of them is accelerated by Canadian education. Consult with by Sayal Immigration Inc. to understand how studying in Canada can increase your chances of getting the Canadian PR.

Why Should PR Aspirants Study in Canada?

In addition to being the geographical axis of many acclaimed schools, colleges, universities and other educational institutions, studying in Canada offers PR aspirants more than just a degree.

Increased Adaptability

As an international student in Canada, your adaptability will be higher than other foreign nationals. Many new immigrants find it harder to assimilate into the new culture but since you have been studying here, you would not feel any cultural shock. Additionally, if you have already decided that you want to immigrate to Canada and you wish to pursue a career in a profession that is regulated here, such as that of a teacher, doctor, CA, etc., it is better to get your degree from Canada. All regulated professionals are required to get a Canadian diploma, depending on the profession, before they start practicing here. Since you will have a Canadian degree, to begin with, you won’t be required to spend additional time in school.

Post-graduate Work Permit

All international students who have completed at least one year of full-time education from a designated learning institute can apply for a post-graduate work permit or PGWP. It is an open work permit that allows international graduates to work full-time in Canada for any employer across the country. While the validity of this work permit is limited, it gives you good exposure to the Canadian labour market. International graduates often use this time to gain work experience and to build professional relationships.

Additional CRS Score

If you are planning to immigrate to Canada through Express Entry, under FSWP, a Canadian degree from a DLI can raise your chances of receiving an ITA. Your Canadian degree or diploma will provide you with additional CRS points. In addition to that, if you have worked full-time for a Canadian employer for at least one year without a gap using your PGWP, you will get even more points. 

Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

A PGWP that you can acquire after studying in Canada will make you eligible for another pathway for permanent residency. Foreign nationals who have worked full-time for a Canadian employer on Canadian soil for at least 365 days are qualified to apply for Candian PR under the CEC category. The government of Canada started this stream to acknowledge the contributions made by foreign nationals to the Canadian economy.

Job Opportunities as a New Immigrant

Besides increasing your chances of getting Canada PR after study, your chances of getting a job as a new immigrant will also increase. As it would be easier for you to adapt to the Canadian labour market, employers are likely to give preference to you over others.


No. As exchange students attend Canadian schools or colleges for one semester and do not require a study permit, they are not given any immigration benefit. You need to complete at least one year of education in Canada.

If you studied full-time at a designated learning institute in Canada, you can claim additional CRS points.

Only international students who have completed their education from a DLI get additional CRS points. You can contact us to discuss your case.

Language efficiency, your educational background, working experience, age and marital status are some of the factors that are considered for permanent residency. However, every stream has different requirements. If you are in doubt, reach out to us.

One year of full-time education from a DLI can increase your chances of getting Candian PR. However, this cannot be the only factor that can help you in immigrating to Canada. Consult us to know more.

If you have held a full-time job in Canada for at least one year after completing your education, you will qualify for CEC. Canadian education qualifies you for acquiring PGWP but you have to work to become eligible for CEC.

IRCC has various ways of evaluating online degrees. Many factors are considered when education is done online. Therefore, you must talk to an expert about it.

No, but language-based education does prepare you better for immigration.

Consult by Sayal Immigration Inc.

Studying in Canada can open more pathways for immigration but as an international student, you must make sure that your degree is eligible for it. IRCC has certain criteria for awarding education-related points to PR aspirants. To ensure that you are on the right track, consult RCIC at by Sayal Immigration Inc.