In 2008, through IRCC, the Canadian government launched the Canadian Experience Class program, also known as CEC to recognize the contributions made by international students and temporary foreign workers to the Canadian economy. It is one of the pathways through which foreign internationals who have been a part of the labour market can obtain permanent residency.

The aim of the program is to help the foreign nationals, who have already assimilated into the Candian economy by pursuing further education or by working, with their PR applications. This program has been receiving an overwhelming response from PR-aspirants from across the world and has become one of the most successful immigration programs launched by IRCC.

Canadian experience can put you ahead of others in the express entry pool as it positively affects your CRS score. If you are an international student planning to study in Canada or a foreign worker looking to get a Canadian work permit, book a session with a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant at by Sayal Immigration Inc. We will extensively examine your profile and offer you the best guidance.

Improve Your Express Entry Application with CEC

The research conducted by IRCC and Statistics Canada highlights that foreign nationals who have studied or worked in Canada have an unparalleled advantage over others when it comes to integrating into the Canadian economy. While staying in the country, they are able to build personal and professional connections.

They offer high human capital to the Canadian job market as these foreign nationals are often young and have high levels of education. As they already possess Canadian work experience, they are highly successful in the labour market.

IRCC recognizes these factors. As they want individuals with Canadian education and work experience to become permanent citizens and possibly citizens, IRCC awards them with extra points that increase their CRS score.

CEC candidates enjoy expedited permanent residency status. Those candidates who succeed under the Express Entry can expect to become permanent residents within 6 months in most cases.

It is important for Express Entry candidates to show they have settlement funds before they move to Canada. This is considered as a guarantee that these candidates will be able to support themselves financially. CEC candidates have no such obligation.

With the help of the CRS calculator, you can check how Canadian experience and education can help you with your Canada Express Entry application. If you are still in doubt, contact us.

CEC Eligibility Criteria

To become eligible for the Canadian Experience Class category, every candidate must fulfill the following criteria:

  • The candidate has at least 12 months in Canada. As per the National Occupation Classification (NOC), their employment must be categorized as Skill Type or 0 or Skill Level a or B.
  • Your work experience should be no more than 36 months old at the time of application.
  • Your work experience should be technical, skilled or professional in nature.
  • You must meet the minimum language requirement for your Skill Level.
  • You are planning to work and live outside Quebec.
  • You are medically fit to work in Canada.
  • You are not restricted to live or work in Canada on security and criminal grounds.

And more.

These are the basic requirements that make you eligible to enter the Express Entry pool under the CEC category. All aspirants must know that IRCC may change the eligibility criteria of any immigration stream in the best interest of the country. It is important to consult an RCIC to ensure that your application complies with the latest rules and regulations.


IRCC considers 1,560 hours of skilled work as one year of work. You can gain it by working both full-time and/or part-time.

No, you can apply for permanent residency from outside Canada as well. To be considered for the CEC category, ensure that you meet the minimum eligibility criteria and have worked in Canada within 3 years of your application?

The minimum language proficiency greatly depends on the NOC Skill Type or Level. If your employment is under NOC Skill Level B, you need CLB 5. If your employment is under NOC Skill Level A or Skill Type 0, you need CLB 7.

If you intend to work and live outside of Quebec, you can apply for CEC.

Under the CEC category, you don’t need to give proof of funds. However, if you are applying under the FSWP or FSTP categories, you need to show proof of settlement funds.

No, any part-time or co-op experience that you might have gained is not considered for this category. The work that you did after getting PGWP will be considered.

No, self-employment is not considered.

No, you can work for any employer in Canada and in any field of your choice.

No, the CEC category is not applicable if a candidate intends to work or live in Quebec.

Yes, work experience gained in any province is considered valid by IRCC for CEC.

Know More About CEC

With the latest express entry draw reaching new heights, many PR aspirants are looking for new ways to increase their CRS scores. Canada is giving due importance to international students and foreign nationals with Canadian work experience, especially during these testing times. These foreign nationals are already a part of the Canadian economy and the labour market at large. It is easier for them to receive an ITA.

If you also aspire to enter the Express Entry pool as a CEC candidate or you wish to gain Canadian experience, consult Licensed Members of ICCRC at by Sayal Immigration Inc.