Invite your Parents or Grandparents to Canada on Super Visa

With a focus on reuniting Canadian permanent residents and citizens with their families living in foreign countries, Canada offers different options under the family sponsorship program. The super visa, which has been designed specifically for parents and grandparents, is one of the options that you can consider for inviting your family to Canada as it offers relatively faster processing times.

If you want to invite your parents or grandparents to Canada, but are uncertain about where to start, then taking professional assistance from an experienced and qualified immigration consultant might be the right thing for you. Book a session with by Sayal Immigration Inc. to consult a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) registered with the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC). Our motive is to make the process of travelling, studying or settling in Canada easier.

Why Choose a Super Visa?

A super visa allows parents and grandparents of Canadian permanent residents and citizens to visit them for a duration of up to two years at a time without the requirement of renewing their status. It also permits multiple entries into Canada for up to 10 years. 

A super visa is a better alternative for a temporary resident visa (TRV) as the latter is valid for a shorter duration and requires constant renewals. It will allow your parents and/or grandparents to travel between Canada and their home country easily without the usual hassles of visiting VFS.

It is important to note that a super visa cannot change the status of your parents and grandparents in Canada. They will still remain visitors but with more benefits as they are related to Canadian citizens or permanent residents. In order to become permanent residents, they also have to apply through one of the immigration processes. In this case, the parents and grandparents sponsorship program or the PGP will be the most suitable for them.

You can connect with us to start their application process today.

Eligibility Criteria and Required Documents for the Super Visa

Parents and grandparents who wish to apply for the super visa must fulfil the following requirements:

  • They must be parents or grandparents of a Canadian permanent resident or a citizen.
  • They must have a signed letter from their child or grandchild inviting them to Canada, promising them financial support for the duration of the proposed stay. It must also provide the details of the people in the child or grandchild’s household, including the details of other members that they may have previously sponsored or currently sponsoring.
  • The letter must be notarized and accompany a copy of the child or grandchild’s Canadian permanent residency or citizenship document. 
  • They must have medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company with the validity for a minimum of one year from the date of entry, providing a minimum coverage of CAD 100,000.
  • They must have a confirmation of having undergone a medical examination for immigration.

Only parents and grandparents can apply for a super visa for Canada. Unlike the parents and grandparents sponsorship program that considers dependent children, the super visa has certain limitations.

Proof of Income Requirement

The person hosting their parents or grandparents in Canada will be responsible to meet their financial and basic needs (i.e. food, clothing, shelter, utilities, etc.), and therefore must meet the minimum or low-income cut-off (LICO) requirement for a super visa. For this, they need to provide proof of their income. They may be asked to provide the following documents:

  • Pay stubs
  • Letter of employment stating the salary and the date of hiring
  • Notice of assessment (NOA) or T4/T1 for the latest tax year
  • Bank statements
  • Employment insurance stubs

The minimum income requirement will increase according to the number of parents or grandparents being invited.


Yes, you can. It is not necessary to invite both parents. However, details of the non-accompanying parent or partner will still need to be mentioned in the application form.

Yes, your parent’s spouse (i.e. your non-biological parent) or a common-law partner is eligible to apply for the super visa and accompany them to Canada once they are granted the visa. However, their dependents will not be eligible for a super visa.

No, they must apply for a super visa from their home country as required by the Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) rules. The application can be made both on paper and online. However, online application is advisable for faster processing.

While as per IRCC, it takes a few weeks or less for Super Visa applications to be processed, it varies according to the country parents or grandparents apply from. Once you have a super visa application in progress, you can check the status online on IRCC’s website for more accurate information on this.

No, they will not become permanent Canadian residents. They will remain temporary residents and must return to their home country once the duration of their stay is over. If you want them to become permanent Canadian residents, then you should have them apply for the Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship Program (PGP). Talk to us for more details.

No, IRCC does not permit super visa holders to work in Canada. If your parents and grandparents intend to take up work. Only residents, students, citizens and people with valid work permits can work in Canada.

Select Being Canada for Your Immigration Needs

At by Sayal Immigration Inc., we endeavour to provide the best advice and assistance to our clients. With years of experience in helping people immigrate to Canada through diverse immigration pathways, we look forward to an opportunity to help your parents and grandparents unite with you in Canada on a super visa. Book a session with us today to start the application process and receive qualified support from a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) registered with the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC).